Monday, April 7, 2008

Lines from "The Dharma Bums" by Jack Kerouac


“We went on, and I was immensely pleased with the way the trail had a kind of immortal look to it, in the early afternoon now, the way the side of the grassy hill seemed to be clouded with ancient gold dust and the bugs flipped over rocks and the wind sighed in the shimmering dances over the hot rocks, and the way the trail would suddenly come into a cool shady part with big trees overhead, and held the light deeper. And the way the lake below us soon became a toy lake with those black well holes perfectly visit still, and the giant cloud shadows on the lake, and the tragic little road winding away where poor Morley was walking back.”

“Smith you don’t realize it’s a privilege to practice giving presents to others.’ The way he did it was charming; there was nothing glittery and Christmasy about it, but almost sad, and sometimes his gifts were old beat-up things but they had the charm and usefulness and sadness of his giving “Dharma Bums refusing to subscribe to the general demand that they consume production and therefore have to work for the privilege of consuming, all that crap they didn’t really want anyway such as refrigerators, TV sets, cars, at least new fancy cars, certain hair oils and deodorants and general junk you finally always see a week later in the garbage anyway, all of them imprisoned in a system of work, produce, consume, work, produce, consume, I see a vision of a great rucksack revolution thousands or even millions of young Americans wandering around with rucksacks, going up to mountains to pray, making children laugh and old men glad.”

“There just isn’t any kind of night’s sleep you get in the desert winter night, providing you’re good and warm in a duck-down bag. The silence is so intense that you can hear your own blood roar in your ears but louder than that by far is the mysterious roar which I always identify with the roaring of the diamond of wisdom, the mysterious roar of silence itself, which is a great Shhhh reminding you of something you’ve seemed to have forgotten in the stress of your days since birth. I wished I could explain it to those I loved, to my mother, to Japhy, but there just weren’t any words to describe the nothingness and purity of it. ‘Is there a certain and definite teaching to be given to all living creatures?’ was the question probably asked to beetlebrowed snowy Dipankara, and his answer was the roaring silence of the diamond.”

“In all this welter of women I still hadn’t got one for myself, not that I was trying too hard, but sometimes I felt lonely to see everybody paired off and having a good time and all I did was curl up in my sleeping bag in the rosebushes and sigh and say bah.”

“I still had peanuts and raisins left over from our last hike together. Japhy had said, ‘I won’t be needing those peanuts and raisins on that freighter.’ I recalled with a twinge of sadness how Japhy was always so dead serious about food, and I wished the whole world was dead serious about food instead of silly rockets and machines and explosives using everybody’s food money to blow their heads off anyway.”

No comments: