Tuesday, July 1, 2014

To wait, or not

Waiting between interviews and the writing process is tricky. I was working on another story between the time that I interviewed Angela and the time that I sat down to write a profile on her. I lost some details in between and learned some good lessons about the danger of waiting.

We learned last week that the 20 minutes following an interview are the most important. Writing everything down during that window is ideal: the items in the rooms, the smells, the pictures in the picture frames, the name of the dog. Capture the details. What was the flavor of ice cream Garrett ate while sitting on the porch that Friday afternoon?

I didn't do this.

After interviewing Angela, I stepped away from the sadness. Seeing Brayden's room. Seeing Alexandra's room. It was like looking at death. I stepped in and then straight out of tragedy. I think it's a natural impulse, but it did nothing to improve my writing. I should have stayed in it. But it scared me.

It took me a week to process the loss. And, even now, I don't think I can comprehend it. I tried, but by the time I did, I think I had lost some of the natural power.

I should have stayed with that fear, that anger and that sadness. Had I stayed, I could have written both with more efficiency and power.

If I had it to do over again, I would have spent the weekend adding details from memory, listening to the recording of the interview and playing with potential leads and anecdotes.

I think another reason I waited is because I was overwhelmed with details. It was when I stepped away from everything that I was able to focus on something. So, I did what most beginners probably do when they approach a daunting topic like this one. I stepped away from it and came back when it was less overwhelming, less intense. But perhaps digging through all of those details is worth the challenge.

It'll be interesting to see the difference in the results when the chance comes around again.

Hopefully next time I won't opt for the door.

No comments: