Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Learning how to be on the community beat

I signed up for the community beat at the Missourian because I want to learn how to write features. Even though it's all a bit intimidating, I want to refine my curiosity, develop my intuition and learn how to identify intriguing stories.

The challenge is that I moved to Columbia exactly one month ago, and my understanding of the city is still quite basic. So last Friday, I biked over to the visitor's center and filled up my backpack with maps, welcome guides and informational pamphlets. Then, I actually spent the weekend reading them. I have never, in my life, actually sat down to read a city's welcome guide. And, I am surprised to say that I enjoyed the experiences. The ledes left much to be desired, but the content was perfect for my needs. My natural inclination is to absorb a city slowly and let it unfold before me. So, while this experience does at times, feel forced, I know that getting myself out of my comfort zone will only build character.

My other inclination is for bare walls. Simplicity in my living space keeps me focused, or at least that's what I've been telling myself. For the first time in several years, I now have two wall hangings: a Columbia city map and a Columbia city map with all the bike lanes.

I spent the other part of my weekend actually out in the city. My roommate, Ben, and I rode our bikes out to Rocheport. I loved every second of the ride. I saw eight miles of the MKT and another 10 miles of the Katy. I also saw the Missouri River and perhaps the smallest town I've ever been in. After the concrete and steel of New York City, Missouri feels quiet, peaceful and beautiful in a very different way. I still miss New York and will always be called to the urban side of life, but for now, it's wonderful to explore farmland, bike paths and a much quieter way of living. We also hit up a bike swap over at Walt's and then had a chance to walk though some of the older neighborhoods in Columbia.

As for my assignment in the Northwest part of Columbia, I am still pretty unclear on the boundaries. Is Rocheport considered Northwest? I need to spend more time with my maps, my bike and much to my chagrin, my car.

1 comment:

The Different Drum said...

Interesting. Nice post! It's interesting what we do when we're in new areas.