Thursday, August 22, 2013

Life story

I wrote my first life story yesterday on the general assignment shift. Again, I was nervous. But, once I got started, the nerves faded. In between communication law and answering the front desk phones, I pieced together the story of Louis Lohman, a man who lived to be 92. I heard about how he met his wife. I learned about their canoeing trips in the Ozarks. I spoke with his grandson. His family shared so many kind sentiments about their father. I left the newsroom at 8 p.m. hungry, tired and proud. I like the Missourian's life story policy and think it is also a valuable learning experience for young reporters.

Today, I mailed the story to 2 members of Louis Lohman's family. I'm not sure how many more chances I'll have to write a life story, but I would definitely do it again.

Louis 'Ming' Lohman embraced family, farming and canoeing

No comments: