Wednesday, December 4, 2013

GA over Thanksgiving

I signed up for three GA shifts over Thanksgiving, but unfortunately, could only make one of them. I was disappointed, but looking back, I'm so relieved that I focused on the research papers. I would not have been able to finish everything (to my liking) had I only had this week to finish them.

I did make it in last Monday and it was really fun to be in the newsroom during such a quiet time. There were only a few of us and I had the chance to go to court and attend a small media conference. At the time, I thought the media event was boring, but looking back, I think I learned more than I actually thought I was learning at the time. Sounds so typical of most things in life...

Court was fascinating. I've never heard a judge go through the process of accepting a guilty plea. The first time I heard it, it was interesting. The second time, I caught nuances I hadn't noticed before. The third time I heard it, I just felt bad for the judge. I can't imagine going through that script thousands of times a year. My friend, Sam, who is currently in law school said that many lawyers want to add even more questions to what seems like quite a long and tedious question list. He said a surprising number of people appeal their guilty pleas later on, so the legal community thinks more questions will help clarify. I don't know the details, but at first glance, I disagree with the legal community. I think most people know exactly what they're saying when they enter a guilty plea; they just change their minds later when they're actually sitting in jail. Oh, I should mention that the guy I was there to report on did not enter a plea. His lawyer asked for a continuation. 

Later that evening, I covered a media event announcing that a Toronto-based pharmaceutical testing company is coming to Columbia in February. They'll be creating at least a dozen jobs and will be using space that previously housed an autism program.

Pharmaceutical testing company to expand to Columbia in February

I also finished up the rural emergency medicine doctor article on Monday (finally!).

MU's emergency medicine residency aims to alleviate physician shortage


No comments: