Wednesday, December 4, 2013

surviving...

Well. I almost survived my first semester of grad school. I almost don't want to write that because I don't want to jinx anything. I am a few sentences away from finishing my first literature review and a final edit away from finishing my first (and probably last) legal research paper. I'm nearly finished with my research project for the Missourian and my TA responsibilities are finished after next Wednesday. Wow. It feels so good to write all of that.

Graduate school is all I had hoped for and is just as difficult as I expected. In just a few months, I've learned how to read research articles, how to synthesize complex works and how to report. I also learned how to grade and even though I would have appreciated much more instruction in that area, I feel like I have some baseline knowledge for next semester.

Here are a few lists that I've been mulling over the past couple weeks:

Top 5 favorite moments of the semester:
1. Calling myself a journalist for the first time last August
2. Finding out how much I like health reporting and then learning how to actually be a health reporter
3. Learning that there is an area of health communication called media advocacy
4. Listening to Aye Aye Win talk about being a journalist in Burma
5. Watching the leaves change on the MKT trail

Articles I wish I'd had time to write:
1. Acetaminophen overdose and how the knowledge is changing health practices
2. FIT WIC
3. Out, Proud and 40
4. World AIDS Day highlight
5. Dr. Williams' lecture: Your zip code dictates your health more than your genetic code

What I've learned:
1. Grad school involves a huge amount of research
2. Say yes now and tackle inner reservations later
3. Time off is sometimes more valuable than study time (though it needs to be appropriately timed)
4. Long-distance love doesn't have much of a chance (but that opens the door for love closer to home...)
5. Coming to grad school (even at 31) was a good idea

No comments: