Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Advanced reporting: Summer 2014

This summer, I want to:
  • strengthen my voice
  • improve my ability to organize a narrative
  • tell more compelling stories through sensory detail (aka: conduct stronger reporting)
I'd like to focus on:
  • health-related stories
    • Current topics: psychological consequences of sexual abuse
    • Diversity in the student body at MU's medical school 
    • One mother's ability to overcome grief
    • Profiling a doctor who often diagnoses people with terminal cancer
    • ...
I want to continue writing day-turn articles. I've worked as a reporter for one semester, and I know that I still have a lot to learn. Last semester, I learned about how to construct articles, interview and report. But, these skills are not instincts, yet. The motions are not fluid and my own writing voice feels awkward and constrained. I want to be able to sit down with a topic, identify the players, do the reporting, research and then put together a well-organized narrative.

My weaknesses (as I'm aware of them) include:
  • story organization
  • transitions
  • integrating sensory detail
  • moving into "uncomfortable" interview territory quickly
  • nerves
  • multi-tasking through a couple big stories at once
#journalism

No comments: