Sunday, June 22, 2014

Writing headlines is hard

Our executive editor, Tom Warhover, wrote a great column last week about the sexual assault discussion that is taking place right now on our campus among the curators. In his piece, he lauded the UM System for its adoption of new definitions and interpretations of sexual assault. The changes will make it easier for campus investigators and will hopefully empower women as they work through paperwork/bureaucracy post-assault. Tom also mentioned his distaste for George Will's recent column about how sexual assault victims are given too much power and even privilege.

When the article hit the rim slow queue Friday, I was the copy editor on duty to edit it.

Tom's column had a headline that summed up his points perfectly: DEAR READER: In the dialogue on sexual assault on campus, UM takes two steps forward, George Will two steps back.

The only problem was that his headline had more than 20 words in it. Our typical maximum length for web heads is 10 words. I sifted through his main points again and tried writing a few different ideas. But, I liked what Tom had. I didn't want to ditch it.

His excerpt was also quite catchy. He had taken it from the middle of the column. It was something along the lines of, "George Will's claim that sexual assault victims are some sort of protected class is incendiary and ludicrous." I really liked the excerpt because it hit his point home and because I've never actually used the word "incendiary" in my speech or in my writing. I thought it was great.

It was at that moment I realized I could switch his headline and his excerpt. In my months on the desk, I'd never thought of that option before. My mind is starting to think outside the box. And as I learn the rules and become more comfortable, the strict boxes I once used to structure my thinking, are starting to loosen.

I shortened up his excerpt a bit and added it to the headline box. It was 14 words. Still long. But, better. I added his headline to the excerpt box.

I'm not sure how Tom will feel about this change. I tried to keep his points intact and not change his words too much, but at the same time, make it easier for our readers.

I know that headline writing, no matter how long you do it, is an exercise in mental agility. Great headline writers are great readers. And, I know I need to do more reading and writing to get better.

So these days, I'm writing new headlines rather than just sending them through as they come in. Sometimes, in AP wire, I can't get a better angle. Sometimes, I can. I figure it's good to take some chances and partake in the mental agility game.

Hopefully, Tom will approve.

No comments: