Sunday, November 3, 2013

Amazing article

Several people have recommended I read a New York Times article entitled Snow Fall. I finally sat down to read it last week and am still thinking about it. The reporting was powerful, thorough and incredibly heartbreaking. As I read it, I felt like I was there. It reminded me of home and of my college snowshoeing days. The leaders of those Mt. Rainier treks always carefully considered avalanches and would communicate with one another about them while we traveled around the mountain. I remember feeling safe as they guided us and awed at their depth of knowledge. At 19, I remember wondering how they sharpened those avalanche instincts. This article is a good reminder that nature is beautiful, but can also be unpredictable and tragic.

Snow Fall: The Avalanche at Tunnel Creek

No comments: