Friday, November 22, 2013

More on Ryan Ferguson

I did a follow-up article on the legal side of the Ryan Ferguson case last week. I spoke with Professor Rodney Uphoff, a legal scholar at MU, (again!) about the potential ramifications of the case. Much to my amazement, I was fascinated with the topic. I never really thought I'd enjoy writing a legal interpretation, but once the law is contextualized within a personal narrative, it comes to life.

I asked if Ferguson could be tried again, if double jeopardy applies and if any of the prosecutors could be reprimanded for making a mistake. I also wanted to know about Erickson. He said Erickson has a slim chance of being released, but that his confessions will make it quite difficult.

Reporting on the law is tricky because it's difficult to remove the jargon without losing the accuracy. I'm really glad I had two opportunities to write a legal article. I would definitely take it on again in the future.

Q&A: Could Ryan Ferguson be tried again?

No comments: