Friday, September 13, 2013

Localizing Syria

When the chemical attacks happened in Syria, my first question was, "Why is the Missourian not covering this?" The very logical response from the ACE at the time was, "We're a community paper and people come to us for events in this community, not news they can get from national media." It made sense.

About a week later, I received an email from Stephanie Ebbs suggesting I try to localize Syria for Columbia residents. She gave me the name of an MU student from Syria, Hany Hawasly, and an MU professor who specializes in human rights.

I contacted them and began the process of interviewing. Over the course of the past week and a half, I interviewed two Syrian people. Only one of whom would go on the record, but that was two more Syrians than I had ever met (in my life), so I was thrilled they gave me their time.

I heard about their families, their studies and how difficult it is to be a graduate student with all of the instability and chaos back home. I tried to imagine what it would be like to see all of the violence on a television screen, but be completely unable to help because of the distance. I also wondered how they ever focus on their studies. I think my mind would wander and create all sorts of what-if scenarios. I never did hear from the professor and I probably should have tried calling. Next time.

I learned a tremendous amount from the reporting experience. Since I only had one voice to quote, my editors decided it would be strongest as a Q & A. I wish I had thought of it. They were right. It was much stronger as a Q & A. So, after two hour-plus interviews with Hany and several emails, texts and phone calls, I submitted the article.

MU student Hany Hawasly describes his experience as a Syrian in Columbia

MU's journalism school picked it up and posted it on their website as well: Missouri Photojournalism Master's Student Describes his Experience as a Syrian in Columbia

No comments: