Monday, September 2, 2013

Mud Run

I spent yesterday morning and the early part of the afternoon watching people slosh through a muddy obstacle course. It was drizzling when I left the house, so I expected thunderstorms by the afternoon. I wondered how I would interview people in the rain. But, by noon, the clouds had cleared and the sun came out. The highlight of the day was avoiding the parking fee because we showed our Missourian press badges. I spent the next few hours interviewing children and adults about this wacky way to spend a Sunday. I watched kids throw paint at each other and their parents and realized I should have worn some different clothes.

The race director was on an adrenaline rush and obviously adored his work. He excitedly told me about how he puts on 80 races like this a year. But, this one, the Epic Mud Run, is his baby since it's so close to home. He spent a week building the start and even hauled in two large dumpsters for people to wade through near the end of the race. He told me I'm welcome to race next year and will be happy to give me a go-pro head camera so I can video the whole experience as I run. It sounded awesome and I wondered what readers would think.

I came away from the event covered in dust, but luckily, not any mud.

I headed to the newsroom and realized that one of the reasons I like journalism is the speedy thinking that's required. I had to make sense of a bundle of notes and pick out the most pertinent details in a matter of minutes. It was fun to build the story, introduce the characters and follow them through the race. Ted, the ACE, called before the event and suggested I follow one character through the event instead of including a bunch of information from many people. It was a different take than the Boone Dawdle, so I decided to try it. Unfortunately, it's tough to get good quotes from kids. I interviewed about 20 kids and only a few of them spoke to me in a way I could use for the article. I think it's partially that kids have short answers and partially that I need to practice my communication with children. I had a hard time with it in Turkmenistan and realized again, that I need to practice being in their shoes and speaking with them so that I'm on their level.

I was lucky to meet 11-year-old Lena Coon. She was reflective about the experience and eloquent.

I'm not sure if following one character or many makes the story stronger, but it was certainly interesting to realize that it's an option. I hadn't ever thought of it.

I enjoyed working with Ted and watching along as he made my article stronger. I look forward to strengthening my editing.

Runners trudge through sludge at Epic Mud Run

No comments: