Friday, September 13, 2013

Sunday GA shift

I spent the better part of Sunday on General Assignment (GA) at the Missourian. I checked the MUPD's blotter for the first time. It was interesting to see that more than 10 people experienced varying degrees of crime on 9/5. Most of the incidents were thefts and DUIs.

I came back to the newsroom and reported on a police watchdog who had been arrested on Saturday night. Reporting on crimes, charges, arrests, etc. is nuanced. I need to learn how to report on crime more accurately. For example, how do I know when I should use: "the person was arrested on suspicion of charges," vs. "the person was arrested on charges of." I'm going to ask this question on my next GA shift. The ACE didn't really have time to get into it on Sunday.

The article is below:

Police watchdog activist arrested on suspicion of shooting gun at man

I wrote an obit on Sunday as well. It was sad to read the articles about his death and see the pictures of his family. He was only 9 years older than me. I've noticed that being a reporter really informs me about the community. I've only lived here for about five weeks, but I know so much about the community already. Even if it is sad news, it feels good to remember people for the impact they made.

Curtis Warner Jones Jr. left imprint on athletic department

No comments: