Saturday, September 21, 2013

notes are poetry

Sometimes, I look down at my notes and think that they look more like poetry than notes from an academic class. I think this has to do with my affinity for writing poetry, but could be because I'm just not that great at taking notes. Below are some notes I took a few weeks ago about reporting:

look for the center of the story first
show, don't tell
be observant
understand the intricate details
tell the reader something new
find something revelatory
think about: what's the pay-off in this story?
is the dream unrealistic?
reveal character
people really want to know what makes other people tick
they want to know
- what makes a person fail?
- what makes a person succeed?
- what does this person do on a normal day?
get to the center of a person
become an immersion reporter


No comments: