Monday, October 21, 2013

GA reporting

I'm working the late shift at the Missourian and started last Wednesday. I wrote a life story about a fascinating woman named Tatiana Kudriavsteva. It was a really fun process. I enjoy delving into people's lives and learning so much about them. For some reason, the fact that they are no longer living, makes the details seem more important. I know maybe that sounds strange and I'm not sure if I'm verbalizing my sentiment well enough, but I always feel as I'm writing a life story that it carries a little more importance than the average article.

The woman I wrote about spent most of her life working as an English to Russian translator. Her family estimates she translated more than 80 books in her life. She met authors like John Updike and John Steinbeck. By the end of the night, her son-in-law, a retired MU journalism professor, had sent me pictures of Mrs. Kudriavsteva with John Updike and Graham Greene. She spent many winters in Columbia because he daughter was married to an MU professor. It was fun to examine the Columbia angle, but also step back and tell some of the stories about her life in Moscow.


About five minutes after I finished the accuracy check on the life story, Allie heard about a residential fire over the scanner. Jacob Hamilton and I drove out to the fire and I had the chance to cover my first fire. I met one of the Division Chiefs from the Columbia Fire Department and learned about fire response in the city. It was a small shed fire and caused a few hundred dollars in damage. I haven't had the chance to cover much breaking news. It was a good experience. I went home around 10 p.m. hungry for dinner.

Shed fire causes a few hundred dollars in damage

No comments: