Sunday, October 13, 2013

Pestering people

I published a follow up article on the BJC HealthCare Benefits changes after exactly three weeks of pestering Jacob Luecke. Originally, I didn't even think about following up right away. I knew the changes would be officially announced, but I thought that meant I would follow up in 2 weeks or a month. But, the next business day, Katherine told me I needed to call him every day. While I didn't call him every day, I did call him consistently for about three weeks. Eventually, he got back me and I spent last Thursday afternoon interviewing him and the senior vice president of human resources. It was a really interesting interview. I really enjoyed speaking with them and was actually amazed that they didn't know some of the answers to my questions. The skeptic in me thinks they do, especially my number questions. Perhaps they just aren't willing to share? Does the vice president of HR not actually know how many people are set to lose their benefits in less than three months? I can't believe it. Katherine helped me get a number on the Columbia-side, so that was helpful in terms of providing context.

I know that we have to keep moving along on stories, but right now, I just want to rest for a minute, focus on my three research papers and read a newspaper.

Some Boone Hospital Center part-timers to lose benefits; smokers won't be hired

No comments: