Thursday, October 3, 2013

Back in the swing

Wednesday I wrote up a short event preview and joined the "government shutdown sub-beat."

Casey Bischel and I also gave a libel presentation on the New York Times, Co. v. Sullivan and Gertz v. Robert Welch, Inc. cases. I was mostly terrified of this presentation because the cases are so technical and I typically absorb 25 percent of the content I read for that class. I usually just rely on the professor to explain the other 75 percent in class. The problem on Wednesday was that I was supposed to be co-teaching the cases with the professor. Fortunately, Casey and I survived and we even provoked some lively debate from our classmates.

I spent the remainder of my Wednesday on GA. I'm starting to get into the swing of reporting. I still feel so young and inexperienced in this profession and I think the title cub reporter is quite apt. But the speed at which the newsroom operates is a distinct advantage for learning new things. I can learn more in an 8 hour shift as a reporter than I did in four weeks as a volunteer coordinator for Harlem RBI or web content coordinator for Medical Teams International. In the newsroom, everything happens so fast.

I also noticed that after a long weekend away, I was able to maintain my balance much more effectively. I spent too many weekends in August and September studying and working and didn't take a break. I need to remember that vacations actually improve productivity. Even four-day vacations that don't seem like that much time away can set the reset button and make grad school fun again.

Here's the event preview: Harvest Hootenanny fundraiser to raise awareness of locally-grown foods

No comments: