Monday, October 21, 2013

Thinking more critically

The New York Times ran a fantastic piece last week called The Russia Left Behind. I read it the day it was published, shared it on Facebook and then just went on with my day.

But today, about a week later, I realized that I haven't stopped thinking about that article. It wasn't until I read three research articles on uses & gratifications theory and wrote a one page thought paper, that I comprehended what that article meant to me.

I lived in a former Soviet-bloc country for 24 months. But, I have never been to Russia. A year and a half later, I still wonder about the similarities and differences between my life in Turkmenistan and the lives of Russians. I always think 'oh, I'll read up on it,' or 'I'll visit St. Petersburg someday.'

But, in the meantime, I still wonder: 'what does life in Russia look like, taste like, feel like?' This article answered those questions for me. And, looking back, I sought out that news in a way I don't typically seek out news. I looked forward to reading that article later in the evening and when I finally did sit down, I relished the experience.

I still remember the people featured and can see them living their daily lives just across the ocean. I can visualize their lives because I had the chance to draw a parallel to my own time in a Russian-influenced land.

This master's degree program is a great gift. Although it is removing some of the mystery I have always reserved for writing, it is giving me the chance to break down media into disparate pieces and theories and examine the reasons we consume words and the reasons we write them in the first place.

Learning about the reasons behind the mystery is quite empowering and enlightening.

No comments: